|Our previous inverter|
|Image from donrowe.com if you couldn't tell|
The biggest challenge of this installation was finding a place to put it. It really needed to be placed within 5 feet of the batteries in order to minimize power loss through the cables (again see the * at the bottom). On Hullabaloo our batteries happen to be under the companionway stairs, and with our diesel tank taking up the adjacent room under the (starboard) quarter berth our only real option was to put it in the lazzarette on the port side.
Ron has been emailing a couple that live down the lakeshore that have the same boat that did the same trip a few years ago who are not only a total wealth of boat-specific and how-to knowledge, but are very willing to help us and answer questions. They too put their inverter in their lazzarette and have had no problems with it there so we followed their advice. And boy am I glad that we did, we managed to keep it within about 6 feet of the batteries...the cables and cable paraphernalia needed to connect the inverter to the batteries cost almost $300 extra...for 2 cables 6 feet in length!! Stupid, no?
The blue control screen also detaches from the unit and can be placed in the boat so you can actually control and monitor the unit without emptying the lazzarette, crawling in and wedging your head against the back of it. Pretty handy. We wired ours into a place near the control panel. We removed an old analog (I think that's what it's called) datamarine unit that probably hasn't been used in 20 years. The kind that measures distance by flipping the numbered dials. Needless to say, our little control display wasn't as bulky.
|"Fits pretty good, just needs a little filler" ~Ron|
*I did not personally do the research for this product nor am I the least bit electronically inclined, so if you're wondering why we went with a sine wave instead of a square wave inverter or any other aspects of this project...don't ask! :) Okay ask, I'll just get Ron to respond to you!