It was supposed to be one of those "simple, easy, quick" projects. Haha, what a joke that combo of words is! We were just supposed to be rebedding a deck track that we knew had known was leaking when we bought the boat.
|Holes, holes everywhere|
|Doesn't look like much but we got a lot out!|
We mixed the instructed amounts together in the little mixing bottle about the size of a bottle of glue, but the area that we had to fill was so big it would have taken a ton of little mixings to fill it. So (and here's our bonehead move), we mixed the rest of the bottle so we could poor it all in together faster, you know, despite the instructions saying that mixing larger quantities can cause a 'larger reaction' between the two components. BAD IDEA.
It started getting warm within a minute or two, Ron started using a syringe to put it in the deck and within a couple minutes he was yelling at me to get a bucket...because the epoxy container was SMOKING! After nearly wetting my pants, I grabbed a bucket and put a little water in the bottom to help cool it down and we threw the smoking/melting mess in. At this point I seriously contemplated throwing it in the water, worried that we'd manage to burn down the boat otherwise. Not fun. I do not recommend doing this.
After this near fiasco, we still had the rest of the deck to fill, and I was nervous. In a moment of genius, we decided to follow the directions and just mixed a bunch of smaller batches. It took a while, but it worked without smoking. However, the deck still felt warm where we put the epoxy in and I had to send up a little 'pretty please God, don't let our boat catch on fire' prayer. I'm glad to report that there was no fire, and a couple days later we re-drilled the holes and finished re-bedding the track.
|I really really really hope we don't do this again!|
We got the boat put back together, and just as our first dock party guests were arriving I might add. Sheesh, what an unexpectedly eventful few days! SO thankful it didn't delay us or wind up being even a bigger project than it was!